Wednesday, May 27, 2009

A Memorial Weekend

I really wish I could have every Monday off.
The amazing May continues. 3 beautiful days of weather. So what do I do on the first day?
Go play in the shade of the Sicky, sicky north face of Flattop. Yeah yeah, snicker all you want. I've wanted to take a closer look at Alaska's deadliest mountain in search of that north facing not quite so chossy rock I'd heard about. We found some. Climbed a few short cracks that made the 30 minute hike worth it. Scrambling up, looking for fun moves on the blocks was also a good time.

Sunday was spent converting a slag pile in the back of the house into something more useful. A small garden plot.

Here's the before and after.














I call this a slag pile because it was basically a pile of construction detritus. It had concrete, cinder blocks, rebar, wood, and other trash in it. I was able to use some of that waste for the frame of the plot. Score one for reusing construction waste!!!

Planting will commence this week. Yes I bought starts, lots of standard stuff, we'll see what actually grows. This isn't a really sunny spot.

Sunday I feel a bit sheepish admitting was spent skiing at Turnagain. My newest climbing partner had cut up his hands some on our wicked ascent ;-) of Flattop the other day and didn't think another day of climbing was a good idea. So I semi-begrudgingly accepted to go skiing. The skiing was better than expected, we were able to skin basically from the car. We investigated Todd's on Tincan but something about the fall line being melted out to rock didn't look that good. So we opted for a few laps on the standard Tincan shelves. This was after lounging in the sun for an hour or so. The type of thing you only dream about in February on the same peak.
Better than expected...














Pastoral looking inviting...














Heard lots and lots of SSSSSsssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss..... (the sound of spring snow creeping downhill ever sooooo slowly) but in general, it wasn't a bad way to spend a Memorial Day.

No comments: